History and Specs of the new 2020 Toyota Supra
The Toyota Supra was a legendary car that was popular from the 1960s–1990s. But in 2002, it was discontinued. The CEO of Toyota had a special place in his heart for the Toyota Supra. He knew somewhere deep down that he would bring it back. In 2012, there was some speculation about Toyota manufacturing a new Supra, and in 2019 that speculation became a reality. So what are the history and specs of the new 2020 Toyota Supra? Keep reading below to learn more.
History of the Toyota Supra
See the timeline below to learn more about the beginning of the Supra, and how it got to be where it is today!
- 1967 – Toyota introduced its first sports car, the 2000GT. This proved that Toyota had the ability to create a sportscar and that the market was ready for the release of the next one.
- 1971 – the Toyota Celica sports car was very popular when it hit the market.
- 1979 – the second-generation of the Celica sports car was introduced. It was the Celica Supra. It had a longer wheelbase and more horsepower, but the car was still efficient.
- 1982 – the second-generation of the Toyota Supra came out and had a more sporty exterior.
- 1986 – the third-generation of the Toyota Supra was introduced. It was more luxurious than in previous years, and it became its own car separate from Celica sports car.
- 1990s – the fourth-generation of the Toyota Supra was produced. It was similar to the 2000GT.
- 2002 – the Toyota Supra was discontinued.
- 2019 – the 2020 Toyota Supra made its world debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.
Specs of the 2020 Toyota Supra
The 2020 Toyota Supra features a 3.0-liter inline 6-cylinder 8-speed automatic transmission engine. It produces 335 horsepower and 365 lb-ft of torque. The sportscar can also do 0-60 in 4.1 seconds and has a top track speed of 155 mph.
Even though the 2020 Toyota Supra is a sports car, it is also very safe. It includes safety features including but not limited to a pre-collision system with pedestrian detection, lane departure warning with steering assist, and brake assist.
When can I purchase a 2020 Toyota Supra?
They officially went on sale in July. Keep checking out our website or stop in and see us to learn more about the 2020 Toyota Supra and when it will be available at Fox Toyota Clinton!